My spouse is like a Boy Scout. She doesn’t wear the uniform nor is she a Scout Master. I call her this because she is always prepared. If I cut myself, she somehow produces a bandage. If I forget my keys, she pulls out the spare key to my truck. If my skin is dry, she gives me lotion. Women, it seems, are always prepared. Maybe they seem more prepared for life’s daily obstacles for men because they can carry a multitude of essentials in their handbags.
More men are carrying “man bags”, “man purses”, or simply “murses” (Yes. That is an actual term). The discerning man has come to realize that not everything can be stuffed into his pockets or wallet. Here are a few items that every man should carry at all times. Here’s the “stuff”:
- Smartphone or Tablet – These devices have become essential to our everyday lives. From using Google Maps to get you from place to place to having a digital book or newspaper available during lulls in activity, a smart device is the perfect complement to the man on the go. Don’t forget the spare battery or portable charger.
- Small first-aid kit – You never know when you might have to tussle with a bear or wrangle an alligator. It’s comforting to know that you have the basics to properly treat those scrapes and bruises.
- Window punch / seatbelt cutter – In the event that you are in an accident or are assisting someone who has been, these tools will be of use.
- Rope and duct tape– seriously. Rope and duct tape have many uses in a pinch and can potentially save your life.
- Pocket knife or Multi-tool – A pocket knife has many uses and a multi-tool with scissors, a screwdriver, and a file could also come in handy.
- Flashlight and batteries – A flashlight is a good item to have should you find yourself stranded in the dark
- Keys – You won’t get very far without them.
- Self defense item – Self-explanatory and whatever your local laws will allow.
- Cash and Identification – Carry enough cash as you feel comfortable with, but enough to get you out of trouble.
- Emergency gift for the wife or girlfriend – Did you forget that birthday or anniversary? Avoid the backlash by being prepared.
These are only suggested items and many more could be added. You have to know your needs and lifestyle to determine what you personally need at all times.