It seems like the excitement is building over the upcoming announcement and release of the Samsung Galaxy S10. The 2018 lineup of Samsung smartphones were uninspiring to say the least. While the Samsung Galaxy S9, S9+, and Note 9 were all great devices, there were no exciting new features to really get our juices flowing. In fact, those devices provided only an incremental upgrade to the “8’s” released in 2017. It’s no wonder that Samsung’s post holiday earnings were less than expected. Samsung can’t “blame it on the alcohol”. That lemon lies squarely on the Smartphone division. Samsung knew by the middle of last year that it had to step up its game with the Galaxy line in 2019 and from everything we know about the Galaxy S10, they dare us to be disappointed.
Samsung will unveil the Galaxy S10 (and possibly the folding Galaxy F) at their next press event on February 20th. The won’t be too much to reveal because so many leaks have been uncovered already. This is what we know:
- There will be four variants of the Galaxy S10. That speculation remains unchanged. We’re expecting Samsung to release the Galaxy S10 Lite, Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+, and Galaxy S10 X (the 5G version) in 2019, each with a different screen size.
- Samsung remains committed to steering clear of the infamous iPhone (and many other smartphones’) “notch”. Instead, Samsung has developed the “Samsung O” screen, which features a pinhole to allow the front facing camera to do its thing. The Galaxy S10 Lite and the Galaxy S10 will see a single pinhole, The larger models will see a larger cutout for the dual front-facing cameras that are expected.
- Samsung’s new One UI skin will run on top of Android Pie. Smoother, much more fluid, and virtually lag-free, One UI is not your mama’s TouchWhiz.
- In addition to a new skin and version of Android, it is reported that Samsung is also going to include an ultrasonic fingerprint reader underneath the display. The ultrasonic technology, unlike the optical fingerprint reader found in the OnePlus 6T, use ultrasonic waves to penetrate whatever is between your finger and the reader, providing for a much more accurate reading. Additionally, water or debris will not inhibit the reader’s ability to unlock the device. While the optical reader found on the OnePlus 6T is pretty damn good, this should be light-years superior.
- Google’s Pixel 3 cameras were the undisputed king in 2018, but you can bank on Sansung stepping up to the challenge with the cameras built into the Galaxy S10. The 2018 line featured a camera with pretty amazing low-light capabilities. The S10 features Bright Night, which is rumored to lead the pack into 2019, by improving on the pretty remarkable camera’s low-light camera features in the “9” series.
- According to Ice Universe, Samsung’s new Galaxy S10+ will be a mere 7.8mm thick and will pack a large 4,000 mAh battery. By comparison, the Galaxy S8+ from 2017 was 8.1mm thick and last year’s Galaxy S9+ was even thicker than its predecessor, and both had the same 3,500 mAh battery size. Samsung has managed to make the Galaxy S10+ even thinner than the past two phone generations while still increasing the battery size to 4000 mAh.
The Galaxy S10 (in different flavors) is soon upon us. So much about the devices has already been revealed, but let’s hope that Samsung still has some surprises to share that will have us at the edge of our seats with anticipation.